WHEN MEDIA MEETS TECH: Can two male-dominated industries merge and still allow for a significant female presence?
Female representation in US newsrooms has not improved since 1999, according to the third annual Status of Women in the US Media report in February 2014 despite a growing number of women graduating from J-schools. As the male-dominated media industry increasingly flirts with the digital world of the tech industry, this Student Reporter’s newsroom obsesses over the space available for women to have a presence, a voice, and a career in the changing media environment. Five university students who are passionate about writing and about issues of gender equality are invited to build a digital newsroom obsessing on the topic of women in the media industry over the next two months.
The project will focus on three features of the media industry: trends and innovation; leadership and organizational structure; sociology and psychology.
- 30 May: Candidate selection;
- 31 May: Online meet and greet + introduction to project;
- 1 June: Online training session for non-journalists, plus pitching first story;
- 7-14 June: Deadline first story, feedback, editing, publication;
- 20 June: Second story pitch;
- 4 July – 11 July: Deadline second story, feedback, editing, publication;
- 14 July: Third story pitch;
- 28 July: Deadline third story, feedback, editing, publication;
- A digital training in reporting about obsessions and about basic journalism skills for those who have little journalism experience or have not been trained/working in an English-speaking environment;
- Publishing of articles on Student Reporter site and any others you would like to pitch to;
- 400 CHF (Swiss Francs) stipend and 200 CHF budget for travel expenses;
- The possibility to attend a conference of your choice related to the newsroom’s obsession.
- Enrolled in a higher education program (Bachelor level or above) – all disciplines welcomed, particularly in the fields of Media, Gender, or Business studies;
- Excellent level of English, both spoken and written;
- Demonstrable interest in the topic of gender equality;
- Commitment to write at least 3 news stories between end of May and July 2014;
- Regular access to good internet connection;
To apply, prepare your CV, brief statement of motivation, rough summer plans, and a story pitch relevant to the topic. Fill in this online form by May 26th and select the program, “Female Presence in the Changing Media Industry.”
Please contact us at sofia.lotto[at]gmail.com if you have any questions about the program or topic.