This position is now closed.
We are hiring for a copy editor on a freelance basis to support the publisher by taking over proofreading in grammar and style.
- Excellent command of the English language (American preferable, British ok).
- Excellent knowledge and experience in AP Style.
- 3+ yrs of professional experience in journalism or copy editing of journalistic writing (news, profiles, opinion).
- MUST BE very detail-oriented, confident and quick.
- Full responsibility for grammar and style check of all articles assigned (on average, five published weekly).
- Fact-checking when noted in article.
- Longer articles can take a normal turnaround time of 24 hrs; during intense projects, shorter blog posts may require quicker turnaround time.
- All written by students and in the topics of business, economics, sustainability and social innovation. The students are recruited for every project and, while academically very strong, usually not experienced in journalism. Read more about our incubation model here.
- Most articles come through projects (conference, topic, or campaign), and can be categorized to the journalistic approaches detailed here.
- The stories will be assigned a primary editor who works with them on the content, voice and structure of the articles. Thus, they will have gone through editorial rounds already by the time it reaches your hands.
This is a freelance position, compensated hourly at competitive rates in US. The position is remote and thus can be situated anywhere. You will report to the managing editor based in New York, NY.
If interested, please send your CV and writing sample (and/or any inquiries) to s.kim[at]projourno.org. We are looking to fill this position ASAP.